Painters and Decorators Insurance - Are You Covered?

When it comes to painters and decorators, we often think there aren’t many risks associated with it. However, painters and decorators often have to work from a height and work with different toxic chemicals and paints. 

If you were to fall and get injured would you be able to afford having months without work? That’s where painters and decorators insurance comes in. Having the right insurance in place can protect you and your clients - we have listed below the types of insurance you should consider.

Personal Accident Insurance

Briefly touched on above, personal accident insurance covers you in the event of an accident or injury. Cover for this is available not only for you but also employees and can be taken out as a group policy or as an individual. Falling off ladders can be a career changer and also put a strain on your finances so it's best to make sure you have this in place just in case!

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability Insurance is important to have as a painter and decorator as you are constantly working with members of the public. Even if members of the public aren’t likely to get an injury from your working (they might not be in the property), you can still be held liable as you are working on their property. 

It is important that if you do unfortunately ruin someone’s carpet by a paint spill, that you report it to your insurer as soon as possible so you can get the matter resolved for your client as quickly as possible.

Employer’s Liability Insurance

If you employ anyone by law you need to have employer’s liability insurance in place. This covers your business against liability for cost and damage for an injury or disease an employee gets whilst working.

You need to make sure that you have this insurance in place even if you have people working for you casually - failure to do so could see you with a substantial fine.

Product Liability Insurance

As a painter and decorator you use products within your work which means you may need product liability insurance. Product liability insurance covers for accidental bodily injury or accidental damage to property that is caused because of a product that you have supplied. So, even if you didn’t manufacture the product you may still be held liable for damages.

Contractors All Risk Insurance

Contractors all risk insurance covers you for work in progress contracts up to an agreed value. This cover can be extended to include your own plant or hired plant which is kept on securely on site.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional indemnity insurance Liverpool covers you against losses that arise from legal liabilities such as professional errors. In the painting and decorating industry you may need to take out this insurance if your work includes a level of design or advice.